Pulao or Pilaf is a traditional South Asian rice dish very popular in India , Pakistan , Nepal and Bangladesh.Long grained aromatic Basmati rice is used in preparing pulao . Vegetable pulao is a type of pulao in which rice is cooked with fresh vegetables and dry fruits.The vegetables and rice are stir fried in ghee,but vegetable oil too can be used for the same purpose as it has lesser calories than ghee.If you are using vegetable oil for cooking add 1 tea spoon ghee in the vegetable pulao to increase the aroma of the dish. Pulao is said to be originated in Persia and introduced to India by the Mughals .I personally like vegetable pulao as it is less spicy,not too heavy,simple yet filling and delicious.
The vegetables and dry fruits increase the nutrition value of pulao. Although cashew nuts are somewhat high in calories they are a very rich source of Vitamin B-5,Vitamin B-6 and Vitamin B-1.Raisin or kismis are good source of dietary fiber,calcium,Vitamin C and Vitamin B-6.
Vegetable pulao goes really well with paneer(Indian cottage cheese) dishes like Paneer makhni(Click here for the recipe) or butter Paneer(Click here for the recipe),paneer curry(Click here for the recipe) etc.If you are a non vegetarian you can enjoy this vegetable pulao with Butter Chicken(Click here for the recipe),Chicken kolhapuri(Click here for the recipe),Kosha Mangsho(Click here for the recipe),Andhra style chicken curry(Click here for the recipe),chicken jhol(Click here for the recipe) etc.
Indian Vegetable pulao Ingredients:
- 2 cup Basmati rice.
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped.
- 1/2 cup chopped french beans.
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower.
- 8 to 10 cashew nuts.
- 10 raisins(Kismis).
- 1 table spoon sugar.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 tea spoon grated ginger.
- 4 to 5 chopped green chilies.
- 2 to 3 crushed cardamoms.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- oil or ghee.
Indian Vegetable pulao Method:
- Wash the rice ,drain all the water and keep aside the rice.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add the cinnamon,cardamoms and bay leaf,fry for 10 secs.Now add the grated ginger,chopped green chilies and fry till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Add the chopped vegetables(I am using carrot,french beans,cauliflower) ,salt to taste and fry for 3 to 4 minutes in medium heat.Now add the washed rice and mix well with the vegetables.Finally add 4 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock,sugar, cashew nuts,raisins.Cover the pot and cook till the rice is done.
- Serve hot with any side dish.
More Pulao Recipe: