Dhokar dalna is another traditional Bengali vegetarian dish.In Bengal Vegetarian means no onion and garlic,although onion,garlic come from plants only :).So we will not use either onion or garlic in this dish.
I have used equal portions of Cholar dal which is commonly known as chana dal in Hindi and Bengal Gram in English with Matar dal or Yellow Split Peas.But if you can not find matar dal dont worry use 1 cup chana dal :).
Traditionally this curry is consumed with rice,but tastes equally delightful with naan,roti or paratha.
Soak the lentils overnight or at least for 4 to 5 hours,as they become easier to grind.I have seen my aunt use the grinding stone to make the lentils paste,which no doubt helps in burning calories but sadly is not my cup of cake :( So I use my grinder,use little water because we do not want the lentils paste to be too runny.Hope you will like the recipe.HaPpY Cooking :)
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) Ingredients:
Ingredients for Dhoka /Lentil cakes :
- 1/2 cup cholar dal/chana dal/Bengal Gram.
- 1/2 cup matar dal/yellow split peas.
- 2 green chilies.
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 1 teaspoon kalo jeera/Kalonji/Fennel seeds(If you can not find kalonji or fennel seeds in your nearest grocery shop,use roasted cumin seeds).
- oil for frying.
Ingredients for Curry:
- 2 medium potatoes.
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste.
- 1/2 teaspoon kalojeera/Kalonji/Fennel seeds.
- 2 to 3 dried red chilies.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 3 to 4 crushed cardamom.
- 1 cinnamon stick(1").
- 2 to 4 chopped green chilies.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder.
- 1 table spoon ghee.
- salt to taste.
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) Cooking method:
Dhoka/Lentil cake cooking process:
- Wash and soak the lentils(chola/chana dal and matar dal) overnight.
- Grind the soaked lentils + green chilies+ginger paste with little water to make a thick paste.Now add sugar and salt.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a pan and stir fry the lentils mixture in low heat till you get a sticky mixture.Remove from heat.
- Grease a plate with oil and spread the mixture on the plate with almost on inch depth and let it cool.
- Use a knife to cut it in cubes,I prefer diamond shapes : ).
- Heat oil for deep frying and deep fry the cubes.Your dhoka or lentil cakes are ready,now lets start with the curry.
Dhokar dalna (Lentil cakes curry) process:
- Wash and cut the potatoes in small cubes.Rub the potato cubes with turmeric powder and salt.Fry them and keep aside.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in the pan,add dried red chilies,bay leaf,fennel seeds,green chilies.When the seeds start to crackle add turmeric powder,cumin powder,ginger paste.Sprinkle little water and stir fry till the oil separates from the spices.
- Now add the fried potato cubes,mix well.Saute the mixture for a minute or so.
- Add water and salt,place a lid and bring it to boil.Remove the lid and cook in low heat till you get a thick gravy.Add the dhoka/lentil cakes.
- Add ghee and garam masala,mix well.Your Dhokar dalna is ready.Serve hot with plain rice.
Dhokar dalna Dhokar Dalna