Sakkar pare Recipe:
Sakkar par or Sakhar pare is a traditional Maharastrian sweet made on the occasion of Ganesh chaturthi or Diwali. Sakhar stands for sugar in Marathi so the name itself suggests how sweet the dish is :) .Yesterday on the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi we made these lovely Sakkar Pare at home for the Puja.
Here is the full recipe:
Sakkar pare Ingredients:
- 2 cups all purpose flour.
- 1 1/2 cup sugar.
- 1 cup water for the sugar syrup.
- 2 table spoon ghee.
- pinch of salt.
- oil for deep frying.
Sakkar pare Method:
- In a mixing bowl sieve the all purpose flour with salt and ghee.Now add enough warm water to make a stiff dough.Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Mean while boil 1 cup water and add 1 and half cup sugar in it.Stir the mixture continuously till you get a transparent and thick sugar syrup.
- Now knead the dough that we kept for resting again for sometime and divide it in 2 portions.Make round balls out of these portions and roll them to form a circle of 1/2 inch width.Now cut it in diamond shape or any shape you want using you kitchen knife.
- To give the sakkar pare a new twist instead of cutting them in diamond shape I fold the circle to form a pipe and then cut it from one side.
- Now Heat oil for deep frying and fry the sakkar pare till they are golden brown.Drop the fried sakkar pare in the warm sugar syrup that we prepared and let them soak the sugar syrup for at least 30 to 40 minutes before serving.
- Serve in room temperature.