Rasgulla is a very famous Bengali and Oriya sweet,popular all over India .Rasugullas are so soft that they easily melt in mouth . It is widely believed that rasgulla originated in Odissa and was introduced in Bengal in late 17th century.
The main ingredient of rasgulla is chenna which is prepared using milk.You can either buy fresh chenna from any sweet shop or make it at home. Chenna can be easily made at home so I prefer making it myself instead of buying from a store.
Here is the complete recipe.Hope you all will find it easy .
- 1 litre milk.
- 2 table spoon lime juice.
- 2 cups sugar.
- 1 1/2 cup water.
- In a thick bottom pan boil the milk .Once the milk start boiling reduce the flame and let it simmer in medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.Now add 2 table spoon lime juice and stir continuously till there is a layer of white curd like substance on top of clear water.Let it cool and once it reaches room temperature use a cloth(traditionally muslin clot is used but if you don,t have muslin at home us any soft cotton cloth) to filter out all the water,tie a tight knot on the cloth and let it hung for sometime.Our chenna is now ready.
- Untie the knot of the cloth and spread the chenna on a plate.Knead it for couple of minutes and make a smooth dough using this chenna. Divide the dough in 12 equal portions and make small round balls using from these portions.
- Now lets start making the sugar syrup.Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and then add 2 cups of sugar in it.Stir continuously till the sugar dissolves in the water.Now bring down the flame to medium heat and gently add the chenna balls that we made one by one and let them cook slowly for 4 to 5 minutes.Cover the pan with a lid and ket them cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.Our rasgullas are now done.
- Serve in room temperature.