Taler Bora Recipe:
Taler bora is a very common and popular Bengali sweet made from fresh palm juice.It is prepared with lots of love and care in every Bengali home during Janmastami celebration in the month of "Bhadra" as per Bengali calendar.
For this recipe you will need a ripe palm fruit ,the palm that I used had 3 medium size kernels so the amount of the ingredients that I listed in this recipe is for 3 medium size kernels only.If you are using a larger or smaller palm fruit please adjust the ingredients accordingly.In some variation of the taler bora recipe banana is not used,but I prefer to use the bananas as they make the taler bora really soft.Make sure to mash the bananas properly before adding them to the palm juice.The grated coconut gives the bora a crunchy texture and you can feel that in every bite.
Palm fruit is cholesterol free and is a very good source of Vitamin C,Vitamin B-2 and Vitamin B-6.
Taler Bora Ingredients:
- 1 ripe palm fruit(Tal) with 3 medium size kernels.
- 4 to 5 bananas.
- 1 cup sooji(semolina).
- 1 1/2 cup refined flour(Maida).
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1/2 cup grated coconut.
- oil for deep frying.
Taler Bora Method:
- We will start with separating the kernels from the palm fruit.For this you will have to remove the top portion of the palm fruit(Tal) and then tear out the fibrous portion of the fruit.The kernels will be easily visible now ,so take them out.
- Pour very little amount of water on the kernels and squash out all the juice from the palm kernels.
- Mix all the other ingredients(except oil) with the palm juice to form a thick batter and let it rest for 30 minutes.Don't forget to mash the bananas before adding them to the palm juice.
- Heat oil for deep frying and using a table spoon drop a portion of the batter in the hot oil. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining mixture.
- Fry till the bora take golden brown color.
- Serve in room temperature.