Plantain chips or Vaazhakka Upperi is a very popular South Indian Dish which is believed to have its origin in Kerala..Banana Chips are one of my favorite tea time snack.I used to buy the banana chips from grocery stores but recently one of my friend showed me how to make them at home.I was really impressed as it is quick and easy to make and believe me tastes better than the one that I used to buy :) . Coconut oil is used to deep fry these plantains chips in South India,but you can use any vegetable oil for frying if you can not find coconut oil in you nearest grocery shop.It is best to eat them immediately after frying as they are hot and crispy at that time but you can store them in a jar for 1 or 2 days maximum.
Plantains are high in calories but they have more Vitamin C, Vitamin A and potassium than a ripe banana.They are also a good source of dietary fiber,Vitamin B complex and minerals such as Iron,magnesium and phosphorous.The plantains also contain a moderate amount of thiamine,niacin,riboflavin.
Kache Kele(Plantain) Ke chips Ingredients:
- 2 to 3 raw bananas/plantains(kacha Kela).
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 tea spoon black pepper powder.
- oil for deep frying.
Kache Kele(Plantain) Ke chips Method:
- Cutting the raw bananas(Plantains) is always tricky as they are greasy and sticky .The best way to do the cutting is to apply oil on our hands or use gloves.If you are not using any gloves while peeling and cutting the raw bananas(Plantains) rub some limes on your hands to get rid of the stickiness.
- Peel and wash the raw bananas(plantains).Use the slicer and slice the raw banana in thin even slices. Marinate them with turmeric powder,salt and black pepper powder.Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Now heat oil in a kadhai or pan for deep frying.Deep fry the marinated plantains slices in medium flame till they are cooked and golden brown.
- Serve as a tea time snack with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
|Kacha kela Chips|