Baingan ka Bharta is a popular vegetarian Indian dish which is cooked with roasted brinjal/eggplant.The word "Baingan" means Brinjal or eggplant and the word "bharta" means mashed in Hindi.So Baingan ka bharta is actually mashed brinjal in spices . Traditionally the brinjal is roasted over charcoal or open flame but it can also be grilled in a microwave to get the same result.My in laws and husband really like baingan ka bharta and request me to make it for dinner often,to tell you the truth sometimes I feel it is really hazardous to roast the baingan over open flame or charcoal and that is when the good old microwave comes to my rescue.I place the brinjal in the microwave,set the timer and half my job is done :) . Before roasting the baingan(brinjal/eggplant) rub it with oil and prick it in on one side using a knife ,this way the baingan(brinjal/eggplant) will be cooked to perfection .
Baingan ka bharta is one of my favorite meal as it uses less oil and spices . The tomato gives a tangy flavor to this dish which I really like . Brijals are good source of Vitamin C,Vitamin B-6,Iron and dietary fiber. Sere it hot with rice ,roti or plain paratha(For plain paratha recipe click here).Hope you will like this recipe:)
Baingan Ka Barta Ingredients:
- 1 large baingan(eggplant/Brinjal).
- 1 onion chopped.
- 1 tomato chopped.
- 2 to 3 green chilies chopped.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 tea spoon cumin seeds.
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 tea spoon red chili powder.
- 1 table spoon chopped coriander leaves.
Baingan Ka Barta Method:
- Wash the eggplant/brinjal .Take 1/2 table spoon oil in hand and rub the baingan(eggplant) with it.Now roast this brinjal over medium heat till it is completely cooked.Let it cool in room temperature.
- Remove the charred skin of the brinjal and mash it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the bay leaf and cumin seeds,once the cumin seeds start to crackle add the chopped onions and fry till they become soft and slightly brown.Now add the chopped tomato,turmeric powder,red chili powder and stir fry for 1 minute,add the mashed brinjal,salt and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes over medium flame.Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti/plain paratha(For plain paratha recipe click here) or rice.
baingan Ka bharta