Aloo Karela ki sabzi Recipe:
I like many others do not like bitter gourd/melon or karela as we call it in Hindi.But as it is really good for health and is known to be effective against diabetes I try to cook many variations of bitter gourd/melon(Karela) at my kitchen.I usually wash and scrap the bitter melon to reduce its bitterness and also add little sugar in the curry for sweetness.My mother in law with her years of experience in cooking thinks that rubbing salt on the peeled bitter gourd/melon skin reduces its bitterness,but frankly speaking I tried but can not tell the difference.Anyways this curry is tasty as well as healthy and not a bad choice to have once in a while in your dinner or lunch table.
Bitter gourd/melon(Karela) is very low in calories and good for minor stomach problems.Many people drink Karela juice in the morning as it is refreshing and helps in improving the digestion.It is also a good source of dietary fiber,Vitamin A,Vitamin C,Vitamin B-6,Calcium,Iron and Magnesium.
The Aloo Karela ki sabzi is a simple and healthy curry recipe.It is easy to cook and I think any one can make it at home.So let us start with the recipe now:
Aloo Karela ki sabzi Ingredients:
- 1 bitter gourd/bitter melon(Karela).
- 2 potatoes.
- 1 chopped onion.
- 1 tea spoon cumin seeds.
- 2 table spoon curd.
- 1 tea spoon sugar.
- 1 chopped tomato.
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder.
- 1/2 tea spoon cumin powder.
- 1/2 tea spoon red chili powder.
- 2 table spoon coriander seeds.
Aloo Karela ki sabzi Method:
- Wash and scrap the bitter gourd skin and cut it in small pieces,rub salt and turmeric powder to the pieces and shallow fry them.Also peel and wash the potatoes and cut them in cubes,fry the potato cubes golden brown.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds in the pan ,once the cumin seeds start to crackle add the chopped onions and fry till they become soft.Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add turmeric powder,cumin powder,red chili powder,sugar and saute the mixture for 1 minute in medium heat.Now add the fried bitter gourd(Karela) pieces and potato cubes and mix well.Take a bowl and whisk the curd with little water in it.Now reduce the heat and add the whisked curd in the pan,stir continuously so that the curd does not split.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water,salt and bring the curry to boil,let the curry simmer in medium heat till you get your desired gravy consistency.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.