chitika

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Macher muro kumro(Fish head curry with pumpkin) Recipe

Macher muro kumro(Fish head curry with pumpkin):

My husband brought a large fish from the market and I was thinking what to do with the large fish head,I did not want to make muri ghonto (For complete muri ghonto recipe click here) as I did not have gobindo bhog rice at home, so I thought I will try to use it with pumpkin.I have seen my mom and my mother in law cook fish had with chalkumro (Ash gourd) ,but they never cooked fish head with pumpkin,I thought I will give it a try and it turned out quite well.So I thought I will share this recipe with you all. The Pumpkin that I used was ripe and sweet and that is why I used green chilies as well as red chili powder to balance the flavors,but if you want it less spicy don't use red chili powder at all or only use quarter of a tea spoon of red chili powder.This recipe takes around 15 to 20 minute to complete and can be served as a side dish with rice or roti. Pumpkins are available all year and are low in saturated fats,cholesterol and sodium. Pumpkins are also a very good source of vitamin A ,vitamin C and vitamin E.This recipe is healthy as well as less time consuming,hope you will like it :)

Macher muro kumro(Fish head curry with pumpkin) Ingredients:

  • 1 medium rohu fish head.
  • 200 grams pumpkin.
  • 1 tea spoon cumin powder.
  • 1 tea spoon turmeric powder.
  • 1 tea spoon red chili powder.
  • 1 large onion chopped.
  • salt.
  • oil.
  • 1 table spoon coriander powder.
  • 3 to 4 green chilies chopped.

Macher muro kumro method:

  1. Cut the fish head in half and was it properly.Marinate it in 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt.
  2. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan and deep fry the fish head till it become crispy and golden brown.Remove and keep aside.
  3. Now in the remaining oil add the chopped green chilies and onions and saute till the onions become soft.Meanwhile wash and cut the pumpkin into cubes after removing its skin.Add the pumpkin cubes to the onion and green chili mixture and mix well.
  4. Add 1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder,cumin powder and red chili powder,salt and fry for 30 secs or so.Sprinkle a little water and cover the pan and cook in low heat till the pumpkins are 2/3 done.
  5. Now using a spatula break the fish head into pieces,it should break easily as it is already deep fried,add these pieces to the pumpkin and mix well,cook till the pumpkin cubes are done,garnish with coriander leaves.
  6. Serve hot with rice or roti.