Chicken Momo Recipe:
Momo is a type of dumpling very common in Nepal,Tibet,Bhutan and the Himalayan states of India such as Sikkim,Arunachal Pradesh,and northern parts of West Bengal(Particularly Darjeeling).I first tasted momo in our trip to Sikkim but now a days it is available in almost every part of India.According to Wikipedia "It is similar to Chinese Baozi or Jiaozi,the Mongolian Buuz and the Japanese Gyoza".There are different varieties of momo out of them the most popular two are the steamed momo and the fried momo. I prefer the steamed one and The recipe that I am sharing today is of the steamed chicken momo. If you are a vegetarian or do not prefer meat then don't use Chicken and follow the rest of the recipe.The cooking time will also reduce for vegetable momo and you will ave to steam the momos for only 10 minutes instead of 20 minutes. As these momos are steamed and use very less oil(we only use 2 table spoon oil for the dough) They are low on calories and are very healthy yet delicious.For a beginner making and sealing the dumpling might be a bit difficult but once you get one correct you will start enjoying the process,just make sure that the dough you kneed is smooth and the momo wrappers are thin. These dumplings are generally served hot with a tomato based sauce.They are very popular in Nepal and Bhutan and are gaining popularity in India as well.Hope you will enjoy making the momos and will have a good time sharing it with you friends and family.Enjoy Cooking!!!
Chicken Momo Ingredients:
Ingredients for the momo wrapper:
- 2 cup refined flour(Maida).
- 2 table vegetable oil.
- Warm water as needed.
Ingredients for the momo filling:
- 1 cup minced chicken.
- 2 table spoon grated carrots.
- 2 table spoon finely chopped spring onion greens.
- 2 cabbage leaves finely chopped.
- 1 tea spoon finely chopped garlic.
- 1/2 tea spoon green chili paste.
- 2 tea spoon soy sauce.
- 1/2 tea spoon sugar.
- Sieve the flour with 2 table spoon vegetable oil and salt ,add warm water and kneed it into a soft and smooth dough.Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Mean while lets start with the filling preparation.In a mixing bowl combine the minced chicken,grated carrots,spring onion greens,chopped garlic,green chili paste,soy sauce,sugar,salt and mix together.Keep aside.
- Now kneed the dough again and divide it into 16 small portions.Roll out each portion thinly into a 3" diameter circle and our momo wrapper are ready now.
- Put a 1 table spoon of the stuffing that we made in the center of the momo wrapper.Apply little water or oil along the edges and bring the edges together to cover the filling.Twist the edges and seal it.Follow the same procedure for the rest of the momos.
- Steam these momos for 20 minutes and serve hot with sauce