Beetroot helps in reducing blood pressure ,bad cholesterol and is low in calories.Apart from that it is also a very good source of vitamin C,iron,magnesium and dietary fiber.Some believe that in ancient times the Romans used to treat fever,constipation,wounds and skin problems using beetroot.The Beetroot tikki recipe that I am sharing today has beetroot as its core ingredient.This recipe is healthy and delicious and the kids love it.Serve these tikkis hot with any chutney or sauce as a snack or starter.The beetroot takes long time to boil ,so to reduce the cooking time you can pressure cook them instead of boiling them in a pan.You can either mash or grate the beetroot and then mix it with the mashed potatoes.This recipe is ideal for the kids how don't like beetroot juice or beetroot in salads.Happy cooking!!
Beetroot tikki(Beetroot Patties) Ingredients:
- 2 beet root.
- 1 potato.
- 2 to 3 green chilies finely chopped.
- 1/2 cup sooji/semolina.
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs.
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 2 table spoon refined flour.
- 1 table spoon finely chopped coriander leaves.
- oil for shallow frying.
Beetroot tikki(Beetroot Patties) Cooking process:
- Wash and peel the beetroot skin and cut it in small pieces.Boil them and keep aside.Now peel the potato and boil it as well,boil the beetroot and potato separately as beetroot takes longer than potato to boil.Mash the boiled potato and beetroot together(you can grate the beetroot instead of mashing it as well),add chopped onion,green chili,coriander leaves,refined flour and mix well.
- Divide this beetroot mixture in equal size balls and flatten them a little to give them the tikki(patties) shape.
- In a flat surface mix the bread crumbs with semolina.Dust the tikkis that we made with this bread crumbs mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying and fry 2 to 3 tikkis at a time.First fry them in low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides ,then increase the heat and fry them till the sides become crispy.Follow the same procedure for the remaining tikkis.