Ghugni is a traditional Bengali dish,which is cooked for breakfast.It goes well with luchi/puri. In Bengal you will find many roadside vendors selling luchi ghugni and it is hot favorite among customers.It is easy to cook and tastes delicious.The dried yellow peas takes a bit long time to cook,but if you soak them overnight or at least for 2 to 3 hours,the boiling time will reduce significantly . Once the peas are boiled the rest of the cooking procedure will hardly take 15 to 20 minutes . Try it at home and you will love it :)
- 2 cups dried yellow peas,soaked,drained and boiled.
- 1 bay leaf,torn half.
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger.
- 1 large onion,finely chopped.
- 1 table spoon chopped green chilies.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder.
- 1/4 cup coconut sliced.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan and add the chopped onion,green chilies,bay leaf.Saute till the onions become light brown.
- Add the grated ginger and stir fry for a minute or so.Now also add the turmeric powder,cumin and red chili powder,mix well.Add the boiled yellow peas,mix well.
- Add 1 cup water,place a lid on the pan and let it cook in medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.Add the garam masala and mix.Your Bengali Style Ghugni is ready.
- Serve ghugni hot with luchi or puri or roti.